Australia’s Perth dodges lockdown
International desk || shiningbd
West Australian Premier Mark McGowan announced on Sunday that there will be no second snap-lockdown in the city of Perth, but some movement measures will still be imposed after earlier reports that a hotel quarantine security guard and two of his housemates tested positive for COVID-19.
McGowan said there have been no new cases detected in Australia’s fourth-largest city overnight and therefore he will not put it into another lockdown in two weeks.
Still, the premier said that Perth will not allow spectators during Sunday afternoon’s Western Australia football derby, which was expected to attract as many as 45,000 people.
He said allowing spectators into the Optus Stadium would put too much strain on Perth’s contact tracers. Authorities had earlier said they would allow 75 percent capacity at the 60,000-seat sporting venue.
“I understand people will be disappointed. Some people will be frustrated, but the decision has been made on health advice, and we’ve tried to communicate this as quickly as possible,” he said.
“The game will still go on. And of course, people can watch it from their own homes.”